Friday, October 16, 2009

Chimpanzee at the Bar

so last night a group of friends and i decided we wanted to bike down to the local bar.

so we take our bikes, do the ten minute ride, order cold beers and take our seats underneath the mango tree. all of a sudden i hear a car pull up behind me and a shrieking noise. i turn around, and next to the driver, hanging out of the  passenger side of this white jalopy is a CHIMPANZEE. the chimp is laughing/shrieking, clearly excited to see these white kids, yet he is innocently baring his hideous fangs. i am paralyzed with a combination of shock and pure fear. this chimp, who's name is Roussou, is the size of a grown person. no less intimidating is the link chain and metal lock fastened around his neck. my paralysis leaves me unable to flee like my mind is telling me to (i'm imagining scenes where the chimp jumps out of the car and chomps his fangs into my neck giving me HIV) and before i can make a move the chimp has calmly gotten out of the car, and shut the door. Him and his owner walk up to our table, and the chimp proceeds to shake our hands. THE CHIMP SHOOK THE HAND OF EACH AND EVERY PERSON AT OUR TABLE. so of course when it's my turn, i don't dare reject Roussou's outstretched hand. but as soon as he moved i got up from the table and ran into the bushes with so much adrenaline/fear/shock running through my system i nearly threw up. the africans (and the americans) died laughing at my ridiculous (over)reaction. the chimp calmly walked to the bar owner, received a Coke, thanked the owner and climbed back into the car and drank his bottle of Coke as they drove away.

So that is what I've been doing in Mali. Other activities have/will include:

Tours of Bamako
Sudan v. Mali World Cup Qualifier Soccer Game
Markets 
Restaurants (with the best food/atmosphere I've seen in 10 months)
Hiking
Biking (home from bars)
Rock Climbing
Swimming at the American Club
Volleyball
Concerts
Clubs

Peace Corps is taking care of us and making the best of a  bad situation. They've somehow managed to take a traumatic evacuation and turn it into Club Med Mali. I can't complain. But I can mock the duffel bag of board games PC/Washington flew out to keep up morale.


No comments:

Post a Comment