Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Frat Party!!!

I feel like I'm pledging a fraternity with this Peace Corps thing. It's something I've been researching for a while, and finally, I decide I want to go ahead and join, join this network of people across the globe. My (soon to be) fellow PCVs. My brotherhood. So I submit my application, and I "rush" SubSaharan Africa, hoping to get accepted. Bid day came along in the form of an invitation, and now is the pledging. Community is building already online between people in my pledge class (G17, for future reference) and hazing has already begun. No, not hazing in the form of no electricity or rice for every meal. That's a frat-perk. Hazing in the form of emails like "Congrats! Pack everything you need for 2 years in 2 restricted suitcases weighing less than 80 lbs!" and then the follow up email: "Can't wait to see you in Guinea! Don't forget to pack a DICTIONARY and a BIKE HELMET!"

Right, becuase I have room for that? O, tricky tricky.

No worries though, I've seen my friends go through pledging and hazing and all that jazz before in Maryland's greek system, and I've picked up on all the good techniques. I'll pack my helmet, my dictionary, AND a few extra bulky items just for kicks. I've got this one in the bag. Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment