Wednesday, November 12, 2008

18 Days.

Eighteen days. One-eight. Eighteen days ago I had just finished my backpacking trip with Darchuk (involving a 40 degree sleeping bag in 20 degree weather) ... and that feels like only a few days ago. Maybe because it was. So I am leaving in only a few more days. And the question I keep hearing is "how are you feeling?" My answer, for all to hear ... I am EXCITED!!!

I am beyond excited. I am also beyond ready. I feel like everything that's been going on here at home has been directing me out the door for the next few years. Things like 2 speeding tickets in the same week (when I have never had one in my life!) are God's way of saying "Caitlin, see? Riding a mountain bike on dirt roads for the next two years is the way you should be getting around." So I take these not-so-subtle hints that I'm where I should be. And after a rough two months I have reclaimed my normal happy place in life. I am finally content in Ijamsville, with the way things are with work, friends & family, but am not tied down enough so that I think I'll regret picking up and moving. 

What am I most sad about? Leaving behind family and friends. But I know that my relationships are secure enough that 2 years isn't enough to change anything.

What am I most excited about? All the new people I am going to meet! A new country to call home, a new culture to integrate into, and the language. I love French, speaking it carries me to a new level, brings me this cheese ball sensation of happiness. Now, I'm not counting on Guinea-style French to be the same as what I fell in love with in Paris. But, French is French, right?

Packing hasn't really started yet. There's a giant box of "Africa stuff" downstairs, including my backpack, a headlamp, and 3 long dresses. No doubt this will be a night-before packing job.

I also found out a few days ago I'm leaving from Philly. I love the idea of that. To me, Philly was the beginning of America's greatness. It's where America asserted (with the signing of the Constitution, for those that don't follow) her rock-star status and secured her prominence & success in comparison to the other nations in the world. I like to think that Philly, being the beginning of my journey, will be where I assert my rock-star status for the rest of my days.

Also, I have begun receiving CDs as requested from the Peace Corps Jams facebook group. Much love & thanks to those who have sent some ... and for those of you who haven't sent them yet ... please do!! For those of you who don't have facebook, I'm asking that you mail me a CD you make of your favorite music. You see, I'm going to leave behind the beloved ipod since I'm not counting on having electricity (and if I did, dealing with converters/expensive electronics as a white American girl in Africa are things I wouldn't want to deal with anyways) so I'm kicking it circa 1997 with a disc man. So not only are you giving me a music selection, but by sending me a CD I'd have a great way to think about & feel connected to you as I jam out in my hut. So please, mail me a CD this week!!  
Home address: 
11700 Fairmont Place
Ijamsville, MD  21754

And my Guinean address for all love sent from December 3, 2008 to March 2011 is:

Caitlin Mulligan
Corps de la Paix Americain
B.P. 1927
Conakry, Guinea
West Africa

**and if you send a package, mark it "educational materials" and make it look as boring as possible. Please, no glitter or bedazzles. I mean, even I would steal a package with pink rhinestones on the outside, and I'm not a corrupt postal worker.

 

3 comments:

  1. I love your work!!!
    Congratulations!!!!
    Have a nice day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey whats your email? I'd like to invite you to a Google group where some of us G17's have gathered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Caitlin!

    I got your message on my blog, so I thought I'd send you on on yours! What's your email address - we should get together before we all get together!

    ReplyDelete