Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Last Night in Ijamsvile

Alright, here it is. In about eight hours I'm getting in a car, saying goodbye to the fam, and meeting the PC crew.

So many emotions are pulsing through my veins, mostly excitement, and a little bit of apprehension because the magnitude of what I'm about to do has not hit me at all. Yet. I have been so nonchalant about this entire event- I never even read through all of the material. I'm just so confident in knowing that I am supposed to start service in Guinea right now that I figure I'll get there anyways- whether or not papers are read or if I packed the right things.

Yes, bags are packed. One rolling duffel and a hiking backpack. Not as bad as I thought, I'm happy with how smooth packing went. I went overboard on toilettries like good shampoo and face wash. But I want to smell good while living in the bush.

My last day in Ijamsville was a great one. Amanda came over and her and Claire made me pancakes for breakfast. Well, Claire continued cranking out CDs for the journey. DJ C-murda cranked out a total of 12. Needless to say, between all of my friends I will never be short of any music for any occasion. I ran some errands with dad and then convinced a stubborn cold-hearted lady at CVS to sell me 16 passport photos for $9 instead of $25. I came home to make some tofu for lunch (I am going to miss tofu), packed my bags with no problems, then went to go see Four Christmases, a new Vince Vaughn movie, with the family. The movie was pretty mindless, but good for the occasion. Enjoyed some Starbucks afterwards and came home to enjoy a last veggie burger with the sister. First I thought I would be missing "American" food like Chipotle and burgers. But no, it's definitely going to be tofu and veggie burgers. I think I'm more apt to find burritos in West Africa than soy protein. 

Anyways it is time to sign off. Next time I'm on here I will be in Africa. Here we go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment